Arbeitsrechtliche Hinweise

German labor law governs the legal relationships between employees and employers. Since, as a rule, the filmmakers involved in a production are only contracted for the duration of the production, there are quite a few laws and regulations beyond the labor law applicable in Germany that should also be observed by foreign production companies. Please seek appropriate legal/tax advice in such cases.

For general legal questions, the respective associations of the various film trades will also be happy to provide advice and assistance.

Production with German filmmakers (linked resources available in German only)

Arbeitszeitgesetz (ArbZG) (EN: Working Hours Act)

Tarifvertrag für auf Produktionsdauer beschäftigte Film- und Fernsehschaffende (conexx.av) (EN: Collective agreement for the duration of a production for the film and television professionals employed)

An FAQ on the collective agreement for film and television professionals can be found here: ver.di – FAQ

Contact the respective regional council:

Regional Council Darmstadt
Department VI - Occupational Safety and Health
Head of Department
Jutta Flocke
T: +49 (6151) 12 4010

Industrial safety
Technical occupational safety
Technical consumer and patient protection
Social occupational safety (in German only)

Production with filmmakers from abroad

Information on this topic can be obtained directly from the Bundesagentur für Arbeit (Federal Employment Agency).

Residence permit

For residence titles, please take your queries and applications in Frankfurt am Main to:

Foreigners' Registration Office
Office of Public Order 
Kleyerstr. 86
60326 Frankfurt am Main
Eingang: Rebstöcker Straße 4
T: +49 69 212 424 85
F: +49 69 212 422 16

Direct national queries to:

Foreign Office
T: + 49 30 18 17 0 (24-hour service) 

Work permits

For work permits, please contact the authority responsible for film crews in Frankfurt am Main with your queries and applications:

Bundesagentur für Arbeit (Federal Employment Agency)
Head Office for Foreign and Professional Placement
T: +49 69 2171 2262 
T: +49 69 2171 2284
T: +49 69 2171 2286

The Federal Employment Agency in Bonn is responsible for creative professionals nationwide:

Bundesagentur für Arbeit (Federal Employment Agency)
Head Office for Foreign and Professional Placement
T: + 49 228 713 1316

Working with children and teenagers

There are very strict laws in Germany for working with children. A special permit must always be obtained from the relevant authorities.

Inquiries and applications should be sent to the following address by production companies based in Frankfurt:

Regional Council Darmstadt
Location Frankfurt
Responsible for the Main-Kinzig district, the Wetterau district, the cities of Frankfurt and Offenbach, and Frankfurt Airport
T: +49 69 2714-0
E-mail: (in German only)

General information from the Hessian Ministry of Social Affairs and Integration (in German only):

An application form for work with children can be found on the homepage of HessenFilm und Medien GmbH (in German only):

Work with animals (links provided in German)

Filming with animals is subject to approval in Germany. In Frankfurt, there is an official veterinary service responsible for these permits. An officially recognized expert must also be present at the filming location. 

Tierschutzgesetz (TierSchG) (EN: Animal Welfare Act)

City of Frankfurt am Main
Official veterinary service, veterinary affairs, public order office
T: +49 69 212 47099
T: +49 69 212 47027